1997-98 is the junior year of both Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. Following an arrest in January 1998, both boys begin writing journals and documenting their plans that would formulate the Columbine High School Massacre.
- Late 1997 - Eric sends an online threat on his website containing personal information about Brooks Brown.
- Late 1997 - Eric's father Wayne Harris starts keeping a diary of Eric's misdeeds. It starts shortly after Eric and Brooks Brown had a falling out.
- Early 1998 - Before Eric and Dylan get arrested, the family of Brooks Brown file a complaint to Jefferson County Sheriff regarding Eric's online threat.
- January 30, 1998 - Eric and Dylan are arrested for attempted burglary and theft. Both juniors are sentenced to several months of community service from the juvenile diversion program.
- April 1998 - Eric and Dylan are released early for positive actions in the program. They would begin writing hate journals following their release.